Friday, May 29, 2009

Rearranging Plants

This weekend I rearranged a bunch of my perennial plants. Some of them were not thriving in their current location and looked as if they were going to turn into plant mulch if I didn't do something soon.

They either didn't get enough sun because of the location of these raised beds, or from shade from other plants -- or the heavy clay soil had poor drainage. Some areas seem to have better drainage than others. Other plants were just too close to their neighbors and it didn't look right or they just don't "go." So I pulled out my trowel and dug things up and moved them somewhere new and improved.

I added in some new plants as well. One thing I've learned is that it's better to have more of one plant to tie together the look of the garden. Before I kind of went for the strategy of one of each plant I like.

I also divided, rooted, and covered stems with soil in an attempt to make more of these perennials for free. Dividing plants is especially satisfying because it's easy and you instantly get a new plant that looks like one you might have bought new at the nursery. It's also convenient because these are the plants that like my garden soil, and it aids in the strategy of planting more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment